Friday, February 1, 2013

Goals and Reflection


One of our students, Eric Scala, wrote the following about his goals for his time at the European Study Center:

"Ever since the beginning of my college career I had the desire to study abroad. I had the desire because I wanted the chance to become a more cultured person. Living in another country for four months is a great way to gain a better global perspective. Studying in Europe also gives me the ability to travel to neighboring countries and gain knowledge about their culture and way of life. After my second year of studying in New Jersey I felt that I needed to explore other options. Studying in another country was something that would provide me with the exciting college experience I’ve always wanted. It also sets me apart from others who may be applying for the same occupations.
My sister studied in Australia for a semester and was always encouraging me to do the same. I also had friends who chose to study abroad and claimed it was the best semester of their life. I chose to study In Germany because I’ve always had an interest in the country. I hadn’t had the chance to visit before so I knew it would be a new learning experience. I am fascinated by the German culture because they love soccer, the have beautiful cities, and I find the language to be intriguing. I had heard the people were very friendly towards Americans, which I have found to be true.

            Before going to Germany I knew there were certain things I wanted to accomplish. I wanted to travel all over Germany and get a better sense of the country as a whole. Not only will I travel in Germany, but all over Europe to see the sights and learn the history. The German language is very difficult but I still want to learn it the best I can, within the period of my stay. If I do gain a grasp for the language I would like to intern sometime in the future. Since I am very interested in cuisine I wanted to learn how to cook traditional German meals. When I return I would like to be able to recite the History of Heidelberg. I want to be able to have a conversation in German and be able to direct someone throughout Germany. I am also very interested in the business sector of Germany which I intend to learn more about during our excursions. I like to run a lot so I also feel it would be a good experience to participate in a half marathon through Heidelberg.

            I know that after this trip I will be more independent, as well as more confident in my ability to travel alone. I also feel that being apart from friends and family will make me a stronger person and open my eyes to working internationally one day. Since I don’t know much about the German government system I would like to learn more about it. I would also like to learn more about the top German corporations as well as other large corporations in the European Union. I think this experience has already made me a more outgoing and personable human being. Since I have been given the opportunity to meet lifelong friends from other countries, I’m giving my best effort.

            During my study abroad experience I want to have as much fun as possible without sacrificing grades or participation in my classes. I began the semester with two extra classes for no credit and intend to continue them simply for the extra knowledge. My grades aren’t the only measure of my success, because I would feel unsuccessful if I left without meeting friends from other countries. I hope I don’t get homesick even though I know it is very possible. This experience will probably be the most memorable of my life so I plan on taking full advantage of it."

No comments: