Monday, December 9, 2013

Why Study Abroad?

By Ryan Snope


            I decided to study abroad in order to experience an entirely new culture as well as to have as many new and exciting experiences as possible during my time in college.  College is one of the only times that I will be able to live in another country and experience a different culture for an extended period of time.  I hope to learn how to adapt to new environments during my time abroad, as this is an important skill to have in my professional as well as my personal life.  In addition to these reasons, my major also requires that I study abroad, which is a very good part of the program, as it forces students to venture outside of their comfort zone.  However, even if it had not been required, I still would have chosen to do so.
            I chose to study abroad in Germany for several reasons.  First, our school set up the program here, which made the logistics much simpler and will also allow me to take classes for my major while abroad.  The second reason is that I have a good friend who was born and raised in Germany who helped steer my decision.  He taught me about many aspects of German culture that seemed very interesting and also said that Heidelberg is one of the nicest cities in Germany.  The third reason is that Germany is the most important economic center in Europe and has the third largest economy in the world.  Since I am interested in economics and finance, this will allow me to learn a great deal about the European economy, which will give me a huge advantage while applying for and working at a job in this field.  Heidelberg’s proximity to Frankfurt, which is the financial capital of Germany, also makes it an ideal location to study these topics.  Also, Germany is located pretty much in the center of Europe, which will allow me to travel to other countries during my time here.
            During my time abroad, I wish to improve myself personally by being able to open my mind to different lifestyles without being judgmental or thinking one is better than another.  For example, Americans stress working very hard for many hours a week, while Europeans often live a more relaxed lifestyle with more time off from work, which Americans may view as lazy.  However, this lifestyle can contribute to greater happiness and leave more time to spend with family and loved ones.
           In order to have a successful study abroad experience, I wish to come home with a greater understanding of German and European culture and economy, make new friends from other countries, and have the most fun of any semester in college yet.  I am sure that there will be times when I am homesick, but I have only a short amount of time here while I have years to spend with my family and friends at home, so I will try to make the most of my time here.

No comments: