Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Heidelberg Service Learning


By Ylda Sellers

"Eine halb tasse de kaffee bitte" the gentleman said as he motioned towards the coffee machine for me; "Mitt milch?" I asked while pouring his cup of coffee. When he realized he had a shocked look on his face, he quickly changed it to a smile and with ease replied, "ja."
I understood the man's confusion the ladies who normally worked at Manna we're telling everyone that I didn't speak much German. So when I was able to comprehend and reply to the gentleman's request in German I would not have expected him to act any differently! Now the ladies clearly were not telling everyone who came in that I didn't speak German in order to make me seem inept, rather for them to know that I most likely would be having a little bit of difficulty understanding. Having a preconception in regards to Manna from other students that had previously gone, when we arrived I was nervous. I had been told that the people that went for breakfast were not the friendliest group of people; from my own experience I have a very different opinion. The folks that came were some of the nicest Germans I have ever met.
Back home I tend to do a lot of community service with all the different organizations that I am involved with but also because to graduate from UIW one most have completed forty five hours’ worth of community service in order to graduate with a Bachelor’s degree. Know this sounds as though I only do it because I have to, and to some respect if I did not have it as a requirement or it being part of my obligations to my organizations I probably would not. Now this also does not go with saying that when I do perform community service I love doing it. So going to Manna was great, it really helped put me in my place. Like everyone it is so easy to get caught up in miniscule details of life that really have absolutely no grander matter of importance than the moment we are living in. Going to Manna I was put into perspective and made me truly grateful for what I have, not only the materialistic objects in my life but also the grand love I have waiting for me back home, and the fact I have a home to go back to.

Most of people that came into Manna that morning were not necessarily homeless but some of the folks were. Now back in the states when I have gone to soup kitchens to serve, the homeless folks back are very different from the folks here. The folks here are very nicely dressed to the point that if you did not know this person you probably would not realize that they are facing any kind of hardship financially at least. Also back home the majority of folks that would come into the soup kitchen would act as though we owed it to them to serve and give them food, while at Manna the folks were absolutely grateful that they were getting treated nicely. All in all the  main lesson I learned from going to Manna was that no matter what walk of life someone comes from everyone wants the same thing and that is to be treated with respect. 

No comments: