Monday, November 11, 2013

Wine Tasting
By Kelsey Berger

            Last week, we embarked on an excursion that was much different than our previous city tours; we went to the Adam Müller Winery for a wine tasting.  During the tasting, we were able to sample six different types of wines ranging from white, rose, and red while also learning about the history of the winery and the details about how each wine is produced.  It all began in 1735 when Jacob Müller and his wife Elisabeth registered for ownership of a vineyard in Nussloch, right outside of Heidelberg.  In fact, a special plot of land is located directly opposite of the Heidelberg Castle on the sunny side of the bridge (Weingut Adam Müller ).  During this time, the family grew grapes on the vineyard that were later used to produce several types of wine – Pinot Blanc, Pinot Gris, and Pinot Noir.  The success of their business is seen even today, as the winery has been in existence through nine generations of the family and counting. 
            I thoroughly enjoyed my experience at the wine tasting for two separate reasons.  On one hand, it reminded me of my family, specifically my grandma.  At many of our family gatherings, we all like to enjoy a little bit of alcohol in moderation.  Perhaps it’s the Italian background in our blood or maybe it stems from our desire to have some added fun.  But either way, drinking wine is something that I can immediately associate with my grandma.  Each member of my family always jokes that you will never see my grandma without a glass of wine (or sometimes two) in her hand.  The thought of picturing her with her wine saddens me, as I realize how many family gatherings I’m missing while studying abroad in Germany.  However, I can’t help but look forward to that glass of wine that we’ll share together when she welcomes me home for Christmas. 
            On a more serious note, the wine tasting brought me back to one of my original goals for studying abroad.  During my time in Europe, I wanted to expand my horizons and try new things that I never have before, particularly in the culinary area.  I have never been a huge fan of wine.  Actually, I refused to even drink a full glass while I was on fall break in Italy – one of the greatest wine regions in the world.  I let my stubbornness and dislike of wine get the best of me and decided to order beer or a cocktail instead.  However, the wine tasting forced me to overcome this obstacle.  I decided to let my guard down and try something that I never really pictured myself doing.  In the end, I thoroughly enjoyed most of the wines that we were able to taste and am grateful for the opportunity.  Before leaving the winery, I even purchased two bottles of one of the white wines given to us in the tasting.  I can now consider myself a wine drinker and look forward to experiencing other types of wine from around Germany and other countries in Europe.        
     

Source:
Weingut Adam Müller . (n.d.). Winery & Family. Retrieved October 20, 2013, from Weingut Adam Müller : http://www.xn--weingut-mller-4ob.de/weingut_familie/10/26

 




No comments: