Thursday, August 1, 2013

A Visit to Schwetzingen: A Spring Student's Perspective

Written by Spring 2013 student, Christine A. Sandoval

On Wednesday, April 17, 2013, the European Study Center took an excursion to Schwetzingen led by Lena.  This was an interesting trip to say the least.  Schwetzingen is located southwest of Heidelberg and southeast of Mannheim. 

First of all we were late leaving the European Study Center so by the time we got to the Heidelberg train station we only had like 5 minutes to get something.  I just said I’d wait for the bus and pass on getting something for fear I would running late and miss the bus, not that anyone has ever missed the bus.  Well, some of the other still decided they wanted to grab something before getting on the bus and then they told Isabella they would meet her at the door.  Well we were waiting for Isabella on the bus and then she never came and the bus left without her.  She was waiting at the wrong door, poor thing, I felt so bad for her.  So someone finally calls her and tells her that the bus left without her, and then she gets mad at Shane when she talked to him on the phone.  Personally, this was not my best excursion because earlier in the day I had gone to the dentist to get some dental work done and the doctor said I needed to be on painkillers every 8 hours.  Well, the whole time I felt like a drunk person, which is odd because I don’t drink and I’ve never been drunk before.  What’s worse is that after the tour we had free time so I decided that I would get the bus a little earlier to be able to go back to the ESC and take a nap to sleep off the medicine.  Well, when I got on the bus it was the one going in a different direction, I was heading towards Speyer not Heidelberg.  As I finally get on the right bus we get to the stop that left us at Schwetzingen and I just see the whole gang getting back on the bus. 

Now the tour of the palace was really interesting.  Our tour guide spoke great English and I could understand everything he said and what made it better is that he was really engaging and knowledgeable and I think that’s how I survived the tour.  In the palace we saw all the rooms that were used as bedrooms, meeting rooms, lounging rooms, rooms for visitors, and we even got to see one of the bathrooms.  The design of the palace was really beautiful; every room had different furniture and different curtains that were of very high quality.  The palace belonged to Karl III Philip who was forced into marrying his cousin due to the fact that they wanted him to have a male heir with a certain bloodline.  It was apparently a very unhappy marriage, it took them 17 years to have a child and when they did it was a tragic story.  The baby, who was a boy, was sick and died and the mother would never be able to have children.  But Philip did have children although they would never see royalty; his wife was now expected to be fine with accepting 7 children that he had with other women.  I honestly didn’t expect to learn this very historical story of a royal family, but the way the story was told, you couldn’t forget these details. 


After the tour ended we were able to go out and see the gardens which resembled a smaller version of the gardens at Versailles.  The gardens were beautiful although only after taking a few pictures that’s when I decided to leave back to the ESC.  



No comments: